Friday, March 19, 2010

A Day to be Celebrated

Today I celebrate you, Mom.  Every day that I get to be a mom, I understand you more & more.  And am more and more grateful for you.

As I'm growing up & now am a mom myself, I'm starting to realize....

* the innumerable hours of sleep you gave up for me

* how much you sacrificed in those early days in order to take the time to create teeny tiny homemade outfits for my Barbie....how in the world did you do that??

* how much extra effort it took for you to be the fun mom....I still can't fathom how you so often had the energy to dance around & be crazy with us.  Thanks.

* how self-sacrificing and gross it is to be a mom.  Midnight pukes, potty training....what you did for me was amazing.  Thanks.

* that being a pastor's wife on Sunday mornings is very much like being a single mom....how in the world did you ever manage to get FOUR kids dressed & off to church on Sundays???  You are amazing!

* what a great gift you gave me in teaching me about God & the Bible every step along the way.  You helped to grow my faith & helped me get to know Jesus at a young age.  I am grateful.

* how hard it must have been to be the first one from your family to try and do a family God's way.  The story of God saving you from your past has been to me one of the hugest living testimonies of God's saving love.  I am so proud of you, Mom-- I know it wasn't easy.

* how much work & effort you put into studying me (and my siblings)-- and my passions & talents...in order to see how I can best be used & be fulfilled through God.  You always see potential in me that I didn't think possible.

* the huge gift that you & dad gave me by doing whatever it took to have a God-centered, healthy marriage.  I never realized that those date nights, weekends away, constant communicating (even when it's difficult) really were in many ways an investment in all of us kids as well. The stability & testimony of your marriage has impacted me greater than you will ever know.

* what a sacrifice you constantly made to always have time to listen to me....you always have dropped whatever you're doing to talk to me when I really need you.

* that you really are a rare jewel...and words cannot describe just how grateful I am to have you as my mother.  With each passing birthday I find I am more & more thankful to have you as my mother.  You are one of the dearest friends I have in this life.

Today I celebrate you, Mom.  Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

  1. Katie, I am sure your mom loved reading this!! I sat here teary eyed and I have neither met your mom or are your mom. You are a great daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely second everything in this note. Thanks for putting the time into writing this Katie, it was a much needed reminder to me as I get busy with my own life and begin to forget how important my loved ones, especially my family, are to me. And if you are reading this Mom, know that we will always treasure you!!
    Love,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treasure her, and tell her these things as often as possible. I still think of things I wish I could have thanked my mom for, and she has been dead 7 years.

    ReplyDelete

Adoption- the news that's hard to share

           Many of you knew this was coming, some of you might find this to be a surprise.  Casey & I have pursued this passion for s...